Plant Description: This Alternanthera has a compact spreading habit, beautiful deep burgundy foliage and is a real stand out plant in any garden.
Height & Width: 30-40cm high x 60-90cm wide.
Foliage: Stunning deep burgundy foliage.
Flowers: White flowers in spring.
Uses: Small garden hedges (also as a ground cover, in containers and as a border plant).
Position & Tolerances: Full sun to part shade. Heat tolerant, and loves humidity. Can tolerate light frost, but will need to be planted in a sheltered position to protect it from heavy frosts.
Soil Type: Requires well drained moist soils.
Best Planting Time: September to April.
Planting Density: 2-3 plants per linear metre (3-5 plants per m²).
Where it thrives: All frost free and light to moderate frost regions for all states including NT.
- VIC, SA, WA and Southern NSW - Prune early March.
- Sydney and Central NSW - Prune late March.
- Northern NSW, QLD and NT - Prune early April.
- In frost affected areas, if leaf burn occurs over winter, prune affected foliage at the beginning of spring.
Establishment & Extra Care:
- Water as required for 8-13 weeks until established.
- Plant in a well mulched garden, a chunky mulch is recommended.
- Provide adequate water as required, keep moist in dry weather.
- Protect from heavy frosts.
- Use slow release fertiliser in spring, if required.
- In frost affected areas fertilise at the following times:
- VIC, SA, WA and Southern NSW - Fertilise early March.
- Sydney and Central NSW - Fertilise late March.
- Northern NSW, QLD and NT - Fertilise early April.
Purchase Little Ruby™ Alternanthera Online from: