Japanese Box Buxus microphylla var. japonica
Plant Description: A faster growing variety of Buxus, with evergreen dense foliage. Tolerates heat better than other Buxus varieties.
Height & Width: 50cm-2m high x 50cm-1m wide.
Foliage: Bushy bright green glossy foliage.
Uses: Small to Medium hedge (also for pots and containers).
Position & Tolerances: Full sun to part shade, prefers sunny open positions. Frost tolerant once established. Tolerates heat better than other Buxus varieties.
Soil Type: Well drained soils, soil pH between 6.5 and 7.5.
Planting Density: 3-4 plants per linear metre.
Pruning: May require pruning several times during the growing season (spring/summer), will also require more pruning to keep it compact.
Establishment & Extra Care:
- Water regularly until established.
- Do not over water, these plants do not like too much water or wet feet.
- Will require less water than other Buxus varieties once established.
- Fertilise in autumn/spring.
- Do not like acidic soils, prefer a pH of 6.5 to 7.5.