Native Shrubs & Ground Covers Range
Plant Description: This Westringia is a great native alternative to exotic box plants. It has a naturally tidy shape and requires less pruning the many other Westringia varieties.
Height & Width: 40-60cm high x 40-60cm wide (pruned), 70-95cm high x 70-95cm wide (unpruned). NOTE: Can grow up to 50% larger in good free draining soils in QLD and Nothern NSW (pruning is recommended in these areas)
Foliage: Rich green foliage with a dense growth habit.
Flowers: Mauve flowers from September to May.
Uses: Small hedge (also as a border plant, in containers and for mass plantings).
Positions & Tolerances: Full sun to light shade. Drought and frost tolerant. Will tolerate coastal plantings. Avoid depressed planting areas.
Soil Type: Suits most soil types, prefers free draining.
Best Planting Time: March to November.
Planting Density: 1.5-3 plants per linear metre (2-4 plants per m²).
Where it thrives: NSW, ACT, VIC, TAS, SA, WA and South East QLD (not suited to Northern QLD).
Pruning: Prune 1-3 times per year after flowering for a tidy hedge, more frequent pruning will result in a tidier hedge. This plant can be left unpruned as it has a naturally tidy shape, however, for Northern NSW and QLD pruning is recommended.
Establishment & Extra Care:
- Water as required for 8-13 weeks until established.
- Plant in a well mulched garden, a chunky mulch is recommended.
- Use slow release fertiliser in spring, if required.
- Avoid wet feet and depressed planting areas where the plant may be sitting in water, this can cause fungal problems.
- This plant is NOT recommended for rain gardens.
Purchase Ozbreed Aussie Box® Westringia Online from:
- Australian Plants Online
- Bluedale Plants Online
- Diversity Plant Propagation
- Greenparkes Nursery & Garden Centre
- Plants 4 Perth