Native Shrubs & Ground Covers Range
Plant Description: This is a really dense, compact native shrub that can be kept as a compact hedge, but if you are patient and wait 5-6 years, Hobbit™ Syzygium will grow into a taller dense screening plant. It also appears to be a sterile form.
Height & Width: Up to 3m high x 1.5m wide.
Flowers: Late spring (Nov-Dec).
Uses: Large screen (also as a specimen shrub or small hedge).
Position & Tolerances: Full sun to moderately heavy shade. Drought and cold tolerant. Humidity and salt tolerant. Highly Myrtle Rust Resistant. Strongly resistant to leaf-dimpling psyllids.
Soil Type: Free draining to moderately heavy soils.
Best Planting Time: March to November.
Planting Density: For a taller screen, plant approx. 1.5 metres apart, or up to 2 metres apart for better long term growth.
Where it thrives: QLD, NSW, ACT, VIC, TAS, SA, WA and NT.
Pruning: For a screen, do not prune. Can be pruned to tidy once desired height is reached.
Establishment & Extra Care:
- Water as required for 8-13 weeks until established.
- Plant in a well mulched garden, a chunky mulch is recommended.
- Use slow release fertiliser in spring, if required.
- Avoid prolonged wet feet.
- NOTE: Hobbit™ Syzygium can also be used as a small hedge plant, and can be kept at a height of just 60cm tall and a width of 90cm. Click Here for information on using Hobbit™ Syzygium as a compact hedge.
Hobbit™ Syzygium is currently not available for purchase online.